Ice Diving programme participants must:
- Hold an Ice Diver Certificate from one of the international underwater federation or have made five registered ice dives.
- Demonstrate capability in the primary skills required by under ice diving:
- Cleaning the mask out of water
- Changing the main regulator to the reserve one and vice versa
- Tapping into the buddy reserve regulator
- Conducting an emergency rising to the surface breathing by means of the buddy reserve regulator
- Using the safety rope
- Controlling one's bouyancy
- Communicating with the buddy and with the tender
- Overturning upside down under ice and getting back to the standard position.
* It will be necessary to demonstrate these abilities to the Arctic Circle Dive Center instructors during the check dive.
Divers without the necessary experience can undertake a PADI Ice Diver Course at the Arctic Circle Dive Center.
The course consists of 1–2 lectures and 3 training dives with an instructor. At the end of the course, you will be required to pass an exam and complete the necessary paperwork to obtain the Ice Diver Certificate. * The course fee includes use of all the necessary equipment.
Dives are open to participants of all ages (subject to meeting the requirements outlined above), although a parent or guardian must accompany those under 18 years of age for the entire journey.
You must be in good physical and mental health. Any physical condition requiring special attention, diet, or treatment must be reported in writing when the reservation is made. The Arctic Circle Dive Center reserves the right to decline acceptance of any person as a member of a program.